Wednesday, August 20, 2014

First Trip Home 8/19/2014

Richard hired a driver to take us to the Jeddah airport. He walked me in to check my bags. We browsed some stores, found the security gate and said our goodbyes. No PDA. Just love with our eyes. He was more nervous than I, even against my claim of being fine. He is concerned about my mental state and my assertiveness, I'm sure!!! I on the other hand am just fine. 
I found security to be quite comforting. Passport control was fine. Then I placed my bag through the scanner and walked behind the enclosed glass for ladies only to be scanned with a hand wand. Very discreet and comfortable. Nothing like back home where you stand spread eagle in front of all to view. 
I easily found my gate and awaited the bus to arrive to drive us out on the tarmac to board the huge two deck plane to begin my adventure. All while wearing my Hollywood sunglasses and abaya. I go nowhere these days without my sunglasses. Lights are so bright. But the people here do not know why I wear them. Wonder what they must be thinking of me. Hehe. And this is just my flight to Dubai. 

This view is from the bus to the plane. The plane was awesome! I had never been in a plane as large or nice. Double decker, 10 seats across and plenty of leg room. More flight attendants than I could count. The 2 1/2 hour flight was up before I knew it. Very nice passengers all around. Plane was packed full. I must have gotten the last seat at the very last moment. 
Upon arrival to Dubai it was 11:30 pm Jeddah time, 12:30am Dubai time, which meant darkness so I did not get to take in any of the beauty of Dubai. The Dubai airport was very hot! Many of the toilets were out of order and the airport was crammed like a sardine can. Hard to believe for 12:30 in the morning. Restaurants were doing business like it was a Saturday afternoon back home. They were stricter than Jeddah in security, too. Once through security I bought a bottled water for $5 US dollars (same size I bought in Saudi for .53 cents), but only got to drink half of it because you can't take it on the plane. The layover wasn't bad because there was a time difference of an hour, so I only waited an hour to board. 
Another nice plane but nothing as nice as the plane flying in to Dubai. About half the size and the area I was sitting in was filled with families of small children. Poor babies didn't understand the time difference and confinement. Their bodies and minds were mad! But kudos to the great staff of Emirates for keeping a great schedule of food, liquids and toys and maintaining peace throughout the 15 hour flight to DFW! 
My original plan was to fly home every other month, stay a month, work on ScrapArt, play with the babies, visit the kids and mom, go back to Saudi for a month and so on. After this journey I think I will be rethinking the monthly trip. Just a few thoughts to ponder....

AND, Kelsey, this one's for you: I watched Divergent during the flight. :-)
Go do your own thing and fly those beautiful wings of yours sweetheart!


  1. Life is too short not to take adventures my dear friend. I am ready to explore the world! I will say that my migraines have prepared me to conquer all fear!